Functions & alternative content
Main content
  • Two men, one from a migrant background, are inspecting an engine.

Are you planning to work in Germany or want to move there to live with your family? Do you want to study at a German university? The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) and the Federal Employment Agency (BA) will support you and explain what conditions you need to meet in order to be able to live and work in Germany. From entering Germany through to topics such as working or studying and education in Germany – you will find comprehensive information here.

Migration to Germany

The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) provides all of the important information on migrating to and working in Germany in the “Migration to Germany” section of its website. You can read here about the entry rules that apply to migrants who want to come alone or with their families to work or study in Germany. There are different rules for migrating to Germany depending on the country from which you come.

Click here to visit the “Migration to Germany” section of the BAMF website

Entering Germany

You can familiarise yourself with the entry rules for coming to Germany in the section “Entering Germany”. Here you will find information on applying for a visa, the costs and processing time and other links, e.g. a list of German representation abroad.

EU citizens can enter Germany without a visa. Nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) have equal status with EU citizens who have an unrestricted entitlement to freedom of movement. Nationals of Switzerland also enjoy freedom of movement within the EU.

Here you will find more information on “Entering Germany”

Subsequent entry of spouses as part of labour migration

The BAMF provides information about the rules for foreign nationals who want to move to Germany to be with their spouse in the “Subsequent entry of spouses” section of its website.

Here you will find more information on the “Subsequent entry of spouses”

Family picture: mother, father and child.
Foreign nationals who want to move to Germany to be with their spouse must as a general rule be able to prove that they have basic German-language skills before they enter the country so that they can participate in society from the outset.
Employment situation: a woman with a headscarf sitting in front of two computer screens.
Do you want to work in Germany? The BAMF and the Federal Employment Agency will help you to find your way through the legal regulations and tell you who to contact in order to obtain necessary documentation and applications, as well as providing you with additional information and tips.

Working in Germany

The BAMF provides information on what opportunities are available for immigrants to take up work in Germany and how they are regulated. You are required to meet different conditions depending on the country from which you come.

Here you will find information on how foreign nationals can gain access to the German labour market

EU citizens / EEA citizens / Swiss citizens

EU citizens, EEA citizens (European Economic Area, i.e. Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Swiss citizens have unrestricted access to the German labour market.

Citizens of third countries

Citizens from all other countries, so-called third countries, require a residence title for the purpose of working in Germany. Important conditions are professional qualifications, a valid passport and a secure livelihood during the stay in Germany.

The BAMF hotline “Working and Living in Germany”, tel.: +49 30 1815-1111 is available to answer your questions in German and English about entering and residing in Germany, searching for jobs and the recognition of foreign vocational qualifications.

Studying and education

Germany is an attractive location for education and university study. International students are the third largest group of all foreign nationals moving to Germany. In the “Studying and education in Germany” section of its website, the BAMF provides information on the opportunities available for interested people, especially those from third countries and also from countries within the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. Nationals of third countries generally need a visa, for example, while German language skills are often also a requirement.

Three students sitting at a desk, concentrating on their work.
What are the various possibilities for working, studying or training in Germany? The BAMF provides a brochure detailing the legal guidelines and explaining which public authorities can provide you with further information.

Information for ethnic German resettlers

Immigrants who are recognised as ethnic German resettlers from the successor states of the former Soviet Union and from other Eastern European states automatically receive German nationality. The BAMF provides information on the acceptance and certification procedure, arrival in Germany and participation in special integration courses in the “Ethnic German resettlers” section of their website.

Please click here for further information on “Ethnic German resettlers”

Jewish immigrants

In Germany, there are special acceptance conditions for Jewish immigrants. The BAMF provides information on the legal conditions, special rules for victims of National Socialist persecution and the acceptance procedure for Jewish immigrants, from making an application right through to entering Germany.

Click here for content on the topic of “Jewish immigrants”